Friday, October 1, 2010

The Golden Rule

So we've had a situation in our family lately that has given me great perplexity (is that even a word?? We are going with it). I can't honestly say that I've always cared about repeating gossip or hurting someones feelings by repeating "information." However, after the last three years I can say I DO CARE and I can honestly say I am such a different person in that I refuse to be the one to bring pain to someone else (purposely anyway). This situation has brought on some strong emotions, yet I am trying so hard not to be THAT person. That person who talks about it, trashes the person in question, or repeats something that is of no affect to my immediate family. If this person is not hurting me, do I have the right to speak up if they are hurting a loved one? I was raised by the golden rule...my mom worked really hard to teach me that what you give out comes around four times worse...and the good you give out comes around for the better. I have learned to believe in karma. So I guess the obvious answer is to keep my mouth shut and stay out of it...darn it, I am going to try.
I wonder what it is about our human nature that makes us so interested in other's lives? Things like People magazine crack me up as why do we pay $5 to read about someones coffee preference or who they are dating this week? Really, do we care that much? I honestly feel like I've lost about 20 IQ points each time I read one of those silly gossip magazines. So silly! Maybe if we all spent that equal amount of time on our own lives, we'd have a lot less problems in the world.

Off to get some sleep-with a sick baby, I see many wake up calls thru the night tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment